In June 2020, Banyan Global issued a Call to Action Against Racism, Injustice, and Inequality. As an international development consulting firm committed to promoting social justice and equality around the world, we reject racism and all forms of discrimination, injustice, and violence. The protests following the deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and so many others provided an opportunity for us to come together as a team and issue a Call to Action, outlining what we can do better to be part of the solution of addressing systemic racism in the United States.
On December 11, 2020, we held a staff meeting to update each other on progress made towards the commitments outlined in our Call to Action. To date, Banyan Global has accomplished the following:
- Established a recruitment working group to review and revamp our recruitment practices and systems to promote a more diverse workforce. The group is finalizing more welcoming language for our online career portal, standardizing the interview process, and expanding how Banyan Global reaches diverse applicants with job postings.
- Developed a remote internship program to help build a more diverse pool of international development professionals for the future. This program will provide opportunities to young people who may not have the ability to participate in a traditional, Washington, DC-based internship.
- Invested in promoting a workplace culture that respects the diversity of the world we love by providing a welcoming space for staff to share their thoughts and opinions on diversity and inclusion at Banyan Global.
- Supported organizations that are working to promote social justice and end racism in the United States by matching employee donations.
- Revisited the language that we use to ensure our communications are inclusive and promote the dignity of our staff, partners, and all of the people we work with.
Banyan Global recognizes that our work is far from over. As 2020 comes to a close, we are sharing our progress in order to hold ourselves accountable and recommit ourselves to this important initiative.