In June 2020, Banyan Global issued a Call to Action Against Racism, Injustice, and Inequality. As an international development consulting firm committed to promoting social justice around the world, we reject racism and all forms of discrimination, injustice, and violence. At this time, we made a commitment to proactively work to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). At the beginning of 2021, we recommitted to this effort and set new goals. This year, Banyan Global has accomplished the following:
- Implemented and shared the findings of a baseline survey on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging for Banyan Global staff that we will use in coming years to monitor how we are doing as a firm.
- Researched and tested a number of recruitment job boards to reach more diverse applicants.
- Drafted recruitment guidance for staff to strengthen DEI that will be rolled out in 2022.
- Added more welcoming language to our website and career portal to highlight our commitment to DEI.
- Developed a remote internship program to help build a more diverse pool of international development professionals for the future. This program will provide opportunities to young people who may not have the ability to participate in a traditional, Washington, DC-based internship. The internship was delayed due to bandwidth issues and we hope to launch it in 2022.
- Rolled-out mandatory, online training in DEI for all staff and new hires.
- Donated to organizations working to promote social justice and end racism in the United States and encouraged employee donations.
Banyan Global recognizes that our work is far from over. As 2021 comes to a close, we are sharing our progress in order to hold ourselves accountable and recommit ourselves to this important initiative.