January 26, 2023
Technical Support on Gender-Based Violence to USAID Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Hub
Banyan Global is implementing the Gender Integration Technical Assistance (GITA) II Task Order, which provides on-demand, rapid-response, short-term technical assistance (STTA) to United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Missions and Bureaus across multiple sectors and in crisis and non-crisis settings.
Under GITA II, Banyan Global provided technical support to USAID’s Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment Hub (GenDev) on several gender-based violence (GBV) initiatives.
- Technical Assistance to GBV Grantees Piloting Innovative Approaches. Banyan Global provided technical assistance to USAID on the Resilient, Inclusive, & Sustainable Environments (RISE) Challenge and the BetterTogether Challenge. The RISE Challenge funds approaches to prevent and respond to GBV across environmental sectors. The USAID and Inter-American Development Bank BetterTogether Challenge is a global initiative to crowdsource, fund, and scale innovative solutions from Venezuelans, wherever they are, and innovators worldwide to support Venezuelans and host communities affected by migration. For the RISE and BetterTogether Challenges, Banyan Global advised on the selection of grantees and provided technical support to 14 grantees in 11 countries, including input on their safeguarding policies, training curricula, workplans, and reporting.
- Technical Support to the Collective Action to Reduce Gender-Based Violence (CARE-GBV) Task Order. Banyan Global provided technical support to CARE-GBV aimed at strengthening USAID’s capacity to address GBV in development programming—including both standalone GBV activities and activities into which GBV considerations are integrated. Banyan Global provided input into the development of resources, learning agendas, training materials, and strategic plans by the Task Order.
- Strengthen Policies on Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA) and Align the Agency’s SEA and GBV portfolios. Banyan Global produced a white paper and provided technical support for USAID to prevent and respond to SEA in its development work. Banyan Global also participated in the Action Alliance for Preventing Sexual Misconduct (AAPSM) monthly safeguarding meeting and in the quarterly Interagency Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment (PSEAH) Working Group.
- Support to Addressing Technology-Facilitated GBV (TFGBV). Banyan Global supported coordination and technical direction of TFGBV programming, including engaging with multilateral partners and drafting a TFGBV Strategy Roadmap outlining a three-year strategy for USAID.
- Technical Assistance to GenDev GBV Portfolio and Agency Requests. Banyan Global provided on-going assistance to support USAID’s GBV portfolio, including responding to requests from Mission and Operating Units for technical assistance on GBV integration in strategic planning and activities. For example, Banyan Global developed a Gender-Based Violence and Roadmap in support of the U.S. Strategy for Addressing the Root Causes of Migration in Central America.