Under the Gender Integration Technical Assistance II Task Order, Banyan Global hosted a five-part United States Agency for International Development (USAID) learning series with USAID missions, CARE International, Women Influencing Health, Education, and Rule of Law (WIHER), and AMREF Health Africa from July 13 to 27, 2021, to support USAID’s COVID-19 Response. The learning events presented key insights and trends from gender analyses and highlighted programmatic adaptations for design and implementation specific to USAID staff, especially sector and mission gender advisors. The five events focused on methodology and data collection; education; health; gender-based violence (GBV) prevention, mitigation, and response; and economic growth and women’s economic empowerment.
During the events, Banyan Global and CARE International shared tools and resources to conduct a COVID-Specific gender analysis (CSGA), specifically the USAID Job Aid Tool for USAID Activities: Carrying out a COVID-specific Gender Analysis and CARE International’s Rapid Gender Analysis Tool. Additionally, presenters and speakers expounded upon the purpose and potential benefits of conducting a CSGA including key research questions, considerations, and subsequent programming recommendations that could be applied to the design and implementation of USAID COVID-19 response activities. USAID missions also shared specific learning examples from Banyan Global–led COVID-specific activity-level gender analyses including the USAID/Perú Alliance for Social and Economic Recovery in the Peruvian Amazon Activity CSGA and the USAID/India REVIVE Alliance Activity CSGA to support informal sector workers and micro enterprises affected by COVID-19 in India.
The learning series builds upon the application of the USAID Job Aid Tool for USAID Activities: Carrying out a COVID-specific Gender Analysis for 11 COVID-specific gender analyses that Banyan Global carried out from July 2020 to February 2021, and lessons learned from CARE International’s over 50 rapid gender analyses on COVID-19. To support the learning events, Banyan Global also developed a series of learning briefs for USAID missions and bureaus on learnings from the CSGAs, CARE International rapid gender analyses, and best practices as they relate to programming adaptation.
- USAID’s Gender and COVID-19 Resources
- Job Aid Tool for USAID Activities: Carrying out a COVID-specific Gender Analysis | English (Annex 1, Annex 2), Spanish (Annex 1, Annex 2), French (Annex 1, Annex 2)
- USAID’s Gender and COVID-19 8-Page Brief | English, Spanish, French
- USAID’s Gender and COVID-19 Full Guidance | English, Spanish, French
- Issues and Recommendations on Gender-Based Violence Prevention and Response in COVID-19 Programming | English
- Infographic: USAID Key Programming Questions to Address Gender and COVID-19 | English
- CARE International Data Platform
- CARE Evaluations
- IDG2020: Celebrating the role of girls in the fight against COVID19
- Adolescent Girls Education and COVID19 Report
- Adolescent Girls and COVID19 Report
- CARE International COVID-19, Gender, and Health Highlights
- CARE COVID Health Response Strategy
- CARE International Rapid Gender Analyses on COVID-19
- Our Best Shot: Women Frontline Health Workers in other countries are keeping you safe from COVID-19
- She Told Us: Closing the Data Gaps to Build Back Equal
- Adolescents and COVID-19 Report
- CARE India Program Adaptations
- Global Rapid Gender Analysis for COVID-19
- Prevention: What Works to Prevent Violence: compilation of evidence-based, proven interventions and approaches to reduce violence against women and girls.
- Risk Mitigation: CARE’s forthcoming GBV Risk Mitigation Toolkit, and for humanitarian settings, the Interagency Standing Committee and GBV Protection Cluster. Guidelines for Integrating Gender-Based Violence Interventions in Humanitarian Action: Reducing risk, promoting resilience and aiding recovery. 2015.
- Response: CARE’s GBV First-Line Support Curriculum
- World Health Organization’s tools on violence against women (manual for health systems, training for health providers, clinical handbook and guidelines for health providers, medicolegal/ forensic guide, etc.
- Quality Assurance: Jhpiego, CDC, PEPFAR and WHO’s GBV Quality Assurance Standards
- School-Related Gender-Based Violence Measurement Toolkit
- WI HER- Service Delivery Tools for Identifying and Managing Survivors of Gender-based Violence